上海千花龙凤 Tag Archive
Magazines often get a bad rap when it comes to integrating Web 2.0 ideas into their daily editorial routines, but most publishers have embraced “crowdsourcing” as a research tool. It’s become common for editors to ask their readers for help while researching stories (Wired’s editors, for instance, often blog about stories they are writing).BusinessWeek is taking that tact a mini-step further, asking online readers to submit story ideas they’d like to see reported out. BW editors say they will sort through the suggestions and assign at least one idea a week to its writers. So writes John Byrne:As Editor-in-Chief of BusinessWeek.com, I’ll respond to your suggestions just as I do to my own reporters. “Tom, that’s a brilliant and original idea with importance significance to our readers.” Or, “Frank, I’ve read that story a hundred times. What can you possibly add that’s new?” Whether it’s for research or full-on story pitches, this is something that editors should do more often. Not only is it an easy way to interact directly with readers, it can be a valuable source of information that can help in crafting stories—both now and in the future.In fact, FOLIO: took a step in that direction today. On FOLIO:’s professional networking site MediaPRO, I asked for feedback on a story I’m working on. I’m hoping members—from consumer to b-to-b—will share their feedback and even some story ideas.Take a look and leave us a message!
Online cab aggregator Uber Technologies is reported to have raised $1 billion in a fresh round of funding in which global technology giant Microsoft and Indian media firm Times Internet, among other investors, participated. The latest round of funding values the San Francisco-headquartered taxi aggregator at $51 billion, the Wall Street Journal reported, citing sources close to the development.The investment also takes the overall funding in Uber – regarded as the world’s second most valuable start-up – to over $5 billion, the report said.But a Bloomberg report, citing sources familiar with the matter, said that Microsoft has just finalised to invest nearly $100 million in Uber, valuing the company at $50 billion.”We filed to authorise this new funding more than two months ago,” Kristin Carvell, a spokeswoman for Uber, said in an email.”We aren’t commenting on additional speculation,” she said.In March, Uber had reportedly said that it would get a funding of “well under” Rs 100 crore ($16 million) from Times Internet. Times Internet is a subsidiary of Bennett Coleman & Co, which publishes The Times of India and The Economic Times.Google Inc and Chinese Alibaba Group have already invested in Uber, which currently has operations in 57 countries.Uber had said on Thursday that it was planning to invest $1 billion (Rs 6,400 crore) towards expanding its operations in India, its second largest market after the US.The company has come out with aggressive plans for India in the past two months.Earlier in July, the company had said that it would invest about Rs 317 crore over the coming five years to build its largest international office in Hyderabad.
Saeb Erekat, secretary general of the Palestine Liberation Organisation, speaks to journalists in the West Bank city of Ramallah on 1 September Palestinians reacted angrily today to a US decision to end all funding for the UN agency that assists millions of refugees, seeing it as a new policy shift aimed at undermining their cause. Photo: AFPPalestinians reacted angrily Saturday to a US decision to end all funding for the UN agency that assists millions of refugees, seeing it as a new policy shift aimed at undermining their cause.Washington, which until last year was by far the biggest contributor to the UN Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees (UNRWA), announced on Friday that it would no longer make any contributions to the “irredeemably flawed operation”.The move by president Donald Trump’s administration was described as “cruel and irresponsible” by senior Palestinian official Hanan Ashrawi.“The Palestinian refugees are already the victims who have lost their homes, livelihoods and security as a result of the creation of the state of Israel,” she said.The US has backed Israel in accusing the agency of perpetuating the Middle East conflict by maintaining the idea that many Palestinians are refugees with a right to return to homes in what is now Israel.But to Palestinians, the right of return for the hundreds of thousands who fled or were expelled during the 1948 war that accompanied Israel’s creation is central to their cause.Chief Palestinian negotiator Saeb Erekat said the American administration was invalidating future peace talks by “preempting, prejudging issues reserved for permanent status” negotiations.Palestinian and Israeli “elements that want to achieve peace peacefully, based on a two states solution, are being destroyed,” he told AFP.Destroying’ children’s futuresIsrael however welcomed the US move. “Consolidating the refugee status of Palestinians is one of the problems that perpetuates the conflict,” an official in Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s office said.Trump had already angered Palestinians by his December recognition of the disputed city of Jerusalem as Israel’s capital and axing more than $200 million in bilateral aid for Gaza and the West Bank.The new policy on Jerusalem overturned decades of precedent and prompted the Palestinian leadership to break off relations with the White House.Palestinian presidential spokesman Nabil Abu Rudeina said Washington’s latest decision “promotes terrorism” and was a violation of UN resolutions.He said Palestinian president Mahmud Abbas was considering appealing to UN bodies to challenge the US decision.UNRWA, established in 1949, was already facing financial crisis after Trump announced a $300 million funding freeze in January.The agency, which helps more than five million registered Palestinian refugees, says it now faces major closures to its network of schools and health centres.Mahmoud Mubarak, director of committees that run 19 refugee camps in the West Bank which accommodate some 500,000 Palestinians, warned of “very serious repercussions”.Mubarak said committee representatives would meet Tuesday to discuss their options.In the impoverished Gaza Strip, where most children attend UNRWA schools, 55-year-old Hisham Saqallah said the US move was “political blackmail” that would raise tensions.“If they stop aid to schools, this means destroying the futures of a large number of students and throwing them into the street,” he said.“If they stop the aid completely it would have a major effect on our children.”‘Profound’ consequencesUNRWA spokesman Chris Gunness said the agency would try to close a $217 million shortfall.“If not, some of the most marginalised and vulnerable people on the planet may well suffer,” he told AFP.“People are going to become more desperate and marginalised,” he said, warning of “dramatic, widespread, profound and unpredictable” consequences.Jordan, which is one of just two Arab countries to have signed a peace treaty with Israel, has announced plans to organise a fundraising conference on the sidelines of the UN General Assembly in New York next month.The country’s foreign minister on Saturday voiced disappointment at the US decision, saying Amman had worked hard to convince Washington to keep funding UNRWA.“Any decline in the agency’s services and any attempt to diminish its role under its UN mandate would threaten dangerous consequences,” Ayman Safadi said.“Cutting refugees off from the agency’s services will deepen their feelings of deprivation” and create dangerous tensions, he said.State Department spokeswoman Heather Nauert said the US would “intensify dialogue with the United Nations, host governments and international stakeholders about new models and new approaches” for assisting needy Palestinians.But Hugh Lovatt, an Israeli and Palestinian affairs analyst at the European Council on Foreign Relations, said Washington would find scant support for its push for an alternative aid conduit.He said it was an attempt to “unilaterally take the Palestinian right of return off the table”.“But US actions are misguided, dangerous, and won’t work… neither Lebanon or Jordan can be expected to play along,” he said.
NOAA via APThis GOES-16 GeoColor satellite image taken on May 26, at 21:30 UTC, and provided by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), shows Subtropical Storm Alberto in the the Gulf of Mexico. The slow-moving system made landfall on Monday in the Florida Panhandle.Updated at 11 a.m. ETAlberto is pushing deeper inland after making landfall in the Florida Panhandle on Memorial Day, causing flash flooding, mudslides, downed trees and power outages through parts of the South, East and central U.S. and prompting officials to warn of a possible dam failure in North Carolina.The dam at Lake Tahoma in Marion, N.C., east of Asheville, was given the all-clear on Wednesday morning, after worries of an imminent collapse triggered a mandatory evacuation until an engineer could perform a safety inspection. The emergency has been canceled and the evacuation order was rescinded, McDowell County Emergency Management said in an update.Even with that reprieve, flooding and mudslides shut down highways in the mountains of North Carolina, west of Charlotte. The N.C. Department of Transportation said on Wednesday that even heavy trucks had been swept away by water.Just to illustrate how serious the flooding is in western NC: Water swept an NCDOT tandem dump truck off the road overnight in McDowell County. Two people were rescued. Stay off the roads and avoid flooded areas. If you see standing water, turn around. https://t.co/pLCADeCNJN pic.twitter.com/EnDSZmuoVM— NCDOT (@NCDOT) May 30, 2018The Charlotte Observer writes:“Shortly before 10:30 p.m. Tuesday, a mudslide closed both directions of Interstate 40 in McDowell County, according to McDowell County Emergency Management.No people or cars were trapped, according to a 10:26 p.m. tweet by Jeff Crum, chief meteorologist with Spectrum News North Carolina. ‘Details are subject to change as a better understanding of the unfolding situation is clarified by EMA folks in McDowell County,’ he added.”Flash flood warnings were issued for several other western counties in North Carolina, with the National Weather Service cautioning that resulting landslides and rapidly rising waterways have created a life-threatening situation.@wxbrad old fort NC @11:21pm #ncwx very dangerous situation in this area of McDowell county! pic.twitter.com/Diia3LVuWf— Joey Randall (@Catch_more_fish) May 30, 2018Separately, the NWS forecasts that the Catawba River, which runs west of Charlotte, will crest at 18 feet above flood stage by 7 a.m. Wednesday. Various Western North Carolina counties’ emergency services were taking half-hourly readings of the river where it flows by residential areas, according to Matt Bush of Blue Ridge Public Radio in Asheville.Although Alberto, the first named storm of the Atlantic hurricane season, was downgraded to a subtropical depression soon after it made landfall on Monday, its affects have continued to be felt, even at the fringes of the system.Among other things, it has left 25,000 people in Alabama without power.Our campground site here at River Breeze in marion is completely underwater. Be safe people! @WSOCWeather @EricThomasWBTV @FOX46News @wsoctv pic.twitter.com/DpK1tRc0hX— Zach Lowder (@Z_Lowder14) May 30, 2018“We’ve had a lot of rain, but we got lucky. It was a constant rain but not a heavy rain,” Regina Myers, emergency management director in Walker County northwest of Birmingham, was quoted by The Associated Press as saying.By late Tuesday, Alberto’s center was moving over western Kentucky.As we reported on Tuesday, a local news crew – a reporter and photographer – were killed in North Carolina while covering the storm when a tree fell on their vehicle.Copyright 2018 NPR. To see more, visit http://www.npr.org/. Share
Popular on Variety Jay-Z’s Tidal streaming platform has announced that it has enlisted an “independent, third party cyber-security firm” to investigate a possible data breach, according to Music Business Worldwide.While the platform has been accused of exaggerating its subscriber numbers and streaming numbers for Kanye West’s “Life of Pablo” and Beyonce’s “Lemonade” albums — allegations it has strongly denied — the company said in a statement today that “we feel it is important to make sure that our artists, employees, and subscribers know that we are not taking the security and integrity of our data lightly, and we will not back down from our commitment to them.”CEO Richard Sanders said in a statement: “We reject and deny the claims that have been made by Dagens Næringsliv. Although we do not typically comment on stories we believe to be false, we feel it is important to make sure that our artists, employees, and subscribers know that we are not taking the security and integrity of our data lightly, and we will not back down from our commitment to them. “When we learned of a potential data breach we immediately, and aggressively, began pursuing multiple avenues available to uncover what occurred. This included reporting it to proper authorities, pursuing legal action, and proactively taking steps to further strengthen our stringent security measures that are already in place.“Additionally, we have engaged an independent, third party cyber-security firm to conduct a review of what happened and help us further protect the security and integrity of our data. We are proud of the hard work, devotion to our artist driven mission, and tremendous accomplishments of our over one hundred employees in Norway and fifty more in the United States.“We look forward to sharing with them, and all of our partners, the results of the review once completed.”Tidal, which has rarely shared its data publicly, had a streaming exclusive on West’s album for its first six weeks of release and continues to be the exclusive streamer for Beyonce’s album. It claimed that West’s album had been streamed 250 million times in its first 10 days of release in February of 2016, while claiming it had just 3 million subscribers — a claim that would have meant every subscriber played the album an average of eight times per day; and that Beyonce’s album was streamed 306 million times in its first 15 days of release in April of 2016.These claims led the Norwegian paper to investigate the service’s numbers and report that it was intentionally inflating its subscriber count, a report supported by research from British firm Midia, which estimated that Tidal’s total number of subscribers was closer to 1 million globally.The DN report says that “Beyoncé’s and Kanye West’s listener numbers on Tidal have been manipulated to the tune of several hundred million false plays… which has generated massive royalty payouts at the expense of other artists.” It bases this claim on data contained within a hard drive it obtained that “contains ‘billions of rows of [internal TIDAL data]: times and song titles, user IDs and country codes.” Tidal has disputed the information on the hard drive, but the paper asserts that it matches information received by labels for the time period. In a statement provided to Variety, Tidal responded: “This is a smear campaign from a publication that once referred to our employee as an ‘Israeli Intelligence officer’ and our owner as a ‘crack dealer.’ We expect nothing less from them than this ridiculous story, lies and falsehoods. The information was stolen and manipulated and we will fight these claims vigorously.” The quotes reference descriptions of Jay-Z and Tidal COO/Roc Nation executive Lior Tibon in a previous Dagens Næringsliv article, which were technically accurate at one time but are decades out of date.The paper supported its findings with data from NTNU – the Norwegian University of Science and Technology – which it says has “assembled some of Norway’s leading experts in data security and cybercrime prevention.” Its report reads in part, “Using advanced statistical analysis of the data provided by DN, NTNU determined that there had in fact been a manipulation of the data at particular times due to the large presence of similar duplicate records occurring for a large percentage of the userbase that was active at any given time. In reviewing the data, in isolation from any other records or logs, it was not possible to determine the exact means of manipulation; however, the absence of records with unreadable data suggested it was not an external Structured Query Language Injection (SQLi) vector based attacked, but rather manipulation from within the streaming service itself. Due to the targeted nature and extent of the manipulation, it is very unlikely that this manipulation was solely the result of a code based bug or other system anomaly. The following analysis shows in detail why this conclusion is the most likely conclusion and further, the nature and extent it is suspected that the manipulation has affected the accuracy of the data … The manipulation appears targeted towards a very specific set of track IDs, related to two distinct albums,” “Pablo” and “Lemonade.” The report can be viewed here. ×Actors Reveal Their Favorite Disney PrincessesSeveral actors, like Daisy Ridley, Awkwafina, Jeff Goldblum and Gina Rodriguez, reveal their favorite Disney princesses. Rapunzel, Mulan, Ariel,Tiana, Sleeping Beauty and Jasmine all got some love from the Disney stars.More VideosVolume 0%Press shift question mark to access a list of keyboard shortcutsKeyboard Shortcutsplay/pauseincrease volumedecrease volumeseek forwardsseek backwardstoggle captionstoggle fullscreenmute/unmuteseek to %SPACE↑↓→←cfm0-9Next UpJennifer Lopez Shares How She Became a Mogul04:350.5x1x1.25×1.5x2xLive00:0002:1502:15