Pomeroon boat ‘accident’As Police probe the circumstances surrounding the death of Abdool Shameer, 58, a labourer who went missing on Monday evening in the Pomeroon River, Region Two (Pomeroon-Supenaam), the two suspects in the alleged murder have been released on ‘substantial bail’.This is according to Crime Chief Wendell Blanhum who revealed that the men’s 72 hours holding period was up, and as such Police were mandated to release them on bail.Shameer’s body was recovered in Moruca, Region One (Barima-Waini) on Thursday. Initial reports had stated that about 02:00h onDead: Abdool ShameerMonday, Shameer also called Mohamed Shameer, of Jacklow, Upper Pomeroon, was crossing the Pomeroon River in his boat when another boat, which was powered by an outboard engine, collided with him. After the collision Police said, Shameer could not be located; however, the 33-year-old captain of the other boat, who hails from Siriki, Pomeroon River, was unharmed.Suspicions were raised after it was revealed that the dead man and the surviving captain had “old grievances”.Meanwhile, a passenger of the suspect’s boat confessed that after the collision the captain allegedly disposed of the man’s body. When questioned by Police, the eyewitness alleged that the captain took the body to Moruca, where he disposed of it. The eyewitness later took Police to the scene where the body was buried and family members positively identified the remains.The body was retrieved and taken to a Charity funeral home. An autopsy will be performed shortly. According to the dead man’s brother Fizal, he last saw Shameer on Monday morning about 10:30h in the Jacklow area. He said he left to visit a friend at Jacklow and upon returning, the accident occurred. Family members are contending that the act was revengeful as the two men had old grievances.
After being convicted and sentenced for the lesser count of manslaughter late last month, 38-year-old Rajen Dindial formerly of Lot 653 Section C Block Y, Golden Grove, East Bank Demerara (EBD) has moved to the Appeal Court, challenging his recent conviction and sentence.Manslaughter convict: Rajen DindialDindial was found guilty of manslaughter whilst on trial at the High Court for the September 3, 2017, Sarron Street Grove, EBD, murder of 25-year-old Alston Henry. He was subsequently sentenced to 15 years’ imprisonment by Justice Jo-Ann Barlow.However, in his appeal application, the convict, through his attorney, Nigel Hughes, argued that the presided Judge erred in some areas during the summing up aspects of his trial.Court documents revealed that the appeal was filed on the grounds that the trial Judge erred in law when she failed to direct the jury to completely disregard the contents of the confession statement after it had been read to the jury and subsequently withdrawn from the jury.This is in addition to Dindial arguing that the Judge erred when she failed to withdraw the case from the jury after reversing her decision to permit the caution statement into the evidence and the only implicating evidence was manifestly unreliable and the sentence being too excessive.These are the grounds among others. Previous reports have revealed that Henry was at a wedding house with Dindial’s relatives when an argument ensued between the duo.The now-dead man started to act in a disorderly manner and threw down a portable toilet that was on the property where the wedding was being kept.As such, the convict picked up a dabla (large wooden spoon) and dealt Henry several blows about his body.The man fell unconscious but was however picked up and rushed to the Georgetown Public Hospital where he was pronounced dead on arrival.As such, the Dindial was later taken into Police custody where he was later charged with the offence.
– Top Cop on prison breakDuring the disastrous sequence of events that led to prisoners escaping and the wooden Camp Street prison being razed to the ground on Sunday, it was the armed forces’ focused attention on the walls of the prison that allowed the escapees to walk right out the front door.This is according to Police Commissioner Seelall Persaud, who was asked during a press conference on Thursday at the Public Security Ministry about the whereabouts of his ranks when the prisoners escaped the inferno and proceeded to hijack a vehicle.“The security on the perimeter of the Georgetown prisons was directed at prisoners escaping through the walls of the prison and not on the front gate, which the prison controls,” he explained. “What happened on the day in question is (the) fires in the buildings of the Georgetown prisons.”“So there were several places that were burning,” Persaud explained. The prison officers at the front gate were overpowered and five men came out of that gate, headed down Camp Street, and hijacked a car in which four of them escaped. “The other one went back into the prison.”Detailing the difficulties Police ranks faced while trying to control the situation, Persaud admitted that the Police on the streets guarding the perimeter of the prison were so focused on the walls they “didn’t even notice persons passing them on Camp Street”.“That wasn’t their focus and it happened very quickly,” the Top Cop said. “So in the circumstances, it is understandable that they could have eluded the attention of those ranks,” he contended.A group of prisoners on Sunday afternoon staged an attack on the prison officials and set the Camp Street Prison alight. Reports are that the prison escapees exited the front gate armed with guns and other weapons.The fire began in the south-eastern side of the Prison, and as the smoke spread throughout the building, prisoners were heard shouting for help from Durban Street, as the building was placed on lockdown to prevent more criminals from escaping.Shortly after, the angry prisoners were heard rattling the grilles and hitting the zinc fence that surrounds the prison.However, pandemonium broke out when the prisoners in the smoke-consumed buildings began hurling large stones in their numbers through the vents in the upper floor, at the hundreds of civilians and Police Officers who had surrounded the location.As Police sought to set up barricades around the apparent “war zone” to protect civilians, a few disobedient spectators received minor injuries from the stones thrown in their direction.Moreover, spectators were seen running as gunshots were being fired at them randomly, during an apparent shootout with prisoners in one of the buildings and the Police outside.Officials from the Army were seen crouching behind objects with large rifles as they avoided and retaliated towards the shots fired at them from the criminals, who were attacking while being in the almost completely burnt building.In the aftermath of the disaster, which has attracted international attention, a number of prison officers were injured; one, Odinga Wickham, fatally. Police have issued wanted bulletins for Mark Royden Durant, Uree Varswyck, Stafrei Hopkinson Alexander, Cobena Stephens, Cornelius Thomas and Desmond James.Durant, also known as Royden Williams and “Smallie”, was charged along with several others for the 2008 mass killing at Bartica. The other escapees were also imprisoned for murder.A manhunt is currently underway for these fugitives.
Parking lot controversy– Top Cop distances self, says Crime Chief must be held accountableThe Crime Chief, Assistant Commissioner of Police Paul Williams, has come under fire from the Guyana Association of Private Security Organisations (GAPSO) over comments he made on the parking lot row between Junior Natural Resources Minister Simona Broomes and two security guards.Broomes claimed that she and her driver were the victims of verbal assaults and threats by the security guards, who were attempting to bar her from parking in a specific section of the East Bank Demerara establishment on Sunday evening.She even alleged that one of the guards had pointed and “crocked” a firearm at her and the driver of her SUV vehicle at some point during the incident.The guards were arrested and detained by the Police for close to 16 hours, beforeJunior National Resources Minister Simona Broomesbeing released on their own recognisance.However, subsequent release of CCTV footage from the business place contradicted the minister’s version of what had transpired. Speaking on the matter, Crime Chief Williams had told sections of the media on Wednesday that he would recommend private security guards working in public places, like the supermarket, be properly trained, especially those carrying firearms.“It is within your own judgement and sense, if you see a vehicle of a certain standard or class right there, and then it speaks out to somebody. Even if you want to rate the person for whatever it is — whether the person is a drug lord, Minister or businessman — as soon as you see a vehicle of a certain standard, it supposed to arouse your attention and alertness,” he explained.However, GAPSO on Thursday slammed Williams for his remarks, saying it is “unfortunate” that the security personnel are expected to apologise when the minister’s driver had attempted to breach a secure area without seeking permission, and the minister herself had thrown several ‘No Parking’ signs on the ground, an action which constitutes damage to property.Noting that while the incident is beyond comprehension, the Association went onTop Cop David Ramnarineto ask whether the security guards’ conduct was consistent with their Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), and whether the Ministerial Code of Conduct was breached by the Minister within the Natural Resources Ministry.“The Guyana Association of Private Security Organizations (GAPSO) is calling on Minister of Natural Resources, Simona Broomes, an elected official who has a responsibility to act appropriately, to explain to the public her actions on the CCTV video that is in the public domain. Failure to do such, Ms. Simona Broomes must be held accountable for her actions.The Guyana Association of Private Security Organizations is urging all security officers to not allow agitators to seize this moment to advance their often self-serving beliefs of what is erroneous. Do not allow them to bemoan the lack of trust in the private security industry. Do not allow them to beat down the hard working men and women who are security officers,” the statement on Thursday further outlined.Meanwhile, as GAPSO urged the Guyana Police Force to thoroughly investigate this incident, it is also calling on the Commissioner of Police (ag), David Ramnarine, to explain if the reckless comments made by Williams represent the position of the Guyana Police Force.Contacted on Thursday, however, Ramnarine opted not to comment specifically onCrime Chief Paul Williamsthe statements made by Williams. He would only say the Crime Chief is authorised to speak on criminal matters.“The Crime Chief is authorised to speak on matters of crime to the press, and any statements purportedly made by the Crime Chief, [or] which are attributed to the Crime Chief, he must be held responsible for them… I cannot and will not venture to respond to statements made by the Crime Chief,” the acting Top Cop told this newspaper.Contact was made with ACP Williams on Thursday, who told Guyana Times at the time that he had not read the statement, and as such, cannot respond to same.“I don’t have any response at this time; when I’m ready, I’ll notify the media,” the Crime Chief said.Further commenting on the issue, Ramnarine noted that the matter is still under active investigation, and upon the completion of same, it would be sent for legal advice on the way forward.“The CCTV footage that I saw — which is clearly the same CCTV footage that is available all over the place — suggests very clearly that there was an interaction between the minister’s driver and the security, and subsequently the minister and the security. It very clearly also indicates a sudden type of behaviour, where items such as parking signs were flung down by a person purported to be the minister… And my understanding is: for all intents and purposes, two wrongs do not make a right,” the Top Cop further asserted.
Streets which will get higher speed limits include portions of Bogardus, California, Calmada, Laurel, Michigan, Mills and Pickering avenues; and La Cuarta, Mar Vista and Santa Fe streets. The biggest increase will be on Mar Vista from Colima Road to Cerquita Drive where the limit will go from 30 to 40 mph. firstname.lastname@example.org (562) 698-0955, Ext. 3022 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! “You either have to do it or they can’t enforce it,” Yearian said. “It’s kind of a Catch-22 situation.” If the speed limits aren’t raised, any tickets can be challenged and overturned in court, police say. The 85th percentile was set because studies have shown that those numbers of people drive at a safe speed, according to police. The city’s study called for raising 11 of the 20 streets surveyed. “This really reflects the practice of the drivers,” said Public Works Director David Pelser. WHITTIER – Seven months after raising speed limits on 17 stretches of streets, the City Council is poised to do the same thing for 11 other streets in the city at its meeting today. City officials said in order to use radar, a study of speeds must be performed. “It’s helping the community,” said Chris Magdosku, senior civil engineer for the Whittier Public Works Department. “We’re getting the law violators.” Under state law, a city must conduct a speed survey every five years and use the information to set speed limits. The survey measures how fast 85 percent of the drivers are going. The figures are then used to set a speed limit. John Yearian, a commissioner on the Parking and Transportation Commission, which recommended the changes at its Sept. 6 meeting, said the city’s hands are tied.