Still, LAPD officials said the report represents a significant improvement. They hope U.S. District Judge Gary Feess will lift the decree during a hearing scheduled for June. “The important distinction to be made here is that the monitor acknowledged that the LAPD did a thorough job investigating categorical uses of force. Indeed, the LAPD stands out nationally as the best practice,” said Gerald Chaleff, head of the department’s Consent Decree Bureau. “This latest report noted a need for us to better document our analysis of how our supervisors responded to and oversaw uses of force. “With each quarterly report, we find we have to hone our process to a point the monitor can quantify every aspect of compliance. We have already taken steps to correct these points for the next time that aspect is reviewed.” Peter Bibring, an American Civil Liberties Union attorney who monitors the LAPD, disagreed. “The progress is extremely slow,” he said. “After five years under the original consent decree and one year of the extension, they are still out of compliance with the majority of the provisions that govern the warning system.” The LAPD entered into the decree six years ago to avoid a federal lawsuit by the U.S. Department of Justice, which had accused the LAPD of widespread corruption and abuse after a Rampart division police officer convicted of stealing evidence implicated dozens of his co-workers. Last year, the decree was extended until 2009 after Feess found the agency out of compliance with 30 percent of the 152 provisions in the 80-page document. firstname.lastname@example.org (818) 713-3741160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! The LAPD still fails to respond thoroughly to use-of-force incidents but is making substantial progress in complying with a federal consent decree aimed at rooting out police abuse, a report released Thursday said. In his 22nd report, a court-appointed monitor said the Los Angeles Police Department is making strides in implementing an “early warning” system that identifies problem officers, even though he did not look specifically at the computer software considered key to reform. But independent monitor Michael Cherkasky also found the department failed to track whether supervisors were present in the wake of use-of-force incidents, as required by the 2001 decree. In addition, just 72 percent of officers involved in use-of-force incidents were officially deemed fit to return to duty before they actually hit the streets.
Lawrence McKenzie was a force for the Gophers (9-18, 3-10 Big Ten), but his 22 points weren’t near enough against a deep and talented opponent. The Gophers lost their fifth straight and 10th in their last 12. The No. 1 ranking in The Associated Press Top 25 is up for grabs today after top-ranked Florida lost at Vanderbilt on Saturday. Fifth-ranked UCLA (23-3) also could make the jump to No. 1 after soundly beating No. 19 Arizona 81-66 Saturday. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! MINNEAPOLIS – Greg Oden and No. 2 Ohio State hardly broke a sweat in beating Minnesota 85-67 Sunday, putting the Buckeyes in position for a shot at their first No. 1 ranking in 45 years. Oden had 19 points, nine rebounds and two blocks, and Ron Lewis added 16 points. Mike Conley Jr. finished with 10 assists and five steals for Ohio State (24-3, 12-1).
DETROIT – The U.S. auto sales story line for nearly the past year has been Toyota Motor Corp. kicking the stuffing out of the Detroit Three, but there was a new twist in February. Yes, Toyota sales were up 12.2 percent, but General Motors Corp. showed a strong increase, surprising the industry by reporting a 3.7 percent year-over-year sales rise for the month. “You can’t base everything on one month, but you do need to look at some of the new products that they have coming out,” said Rebecca Lindland, an industry analyst with Boston-based Global Insight. “They’re just sort of gaining some attention from the fact that they are making strides with brands like Saturn.” GM’s Detroit-area competitors, however, stayed in their funk, with Ford Motor Co. posting a 13.5 percent sales slide and DaimlerChrysler AG’s Chrysler Group taking an 8.3 percent dip. Ford attributed the slide to ongoing efforts to cut low-profit fleet sales, which were down 30 percent year over year. But Ford also saw a 12 percent drop in sales of F-Series pickups, its cash cow and the largest-selling vehicle in the U.S. German-American DaimlerChrysler, which includes Mercedes-Benz, reported an 8 percent decrease with Chrysler dragging down Mercedes sales, which were nearly flat. Toyota said it had its best February ever, with sales of 187,330 vehicles. Car sales were up 21 percent, but trucks rose only 2.4 percent. Sales of its Prius hybrid surged 86.8 percent, to 12,227, while Camry sales increased 17.5 percent, to 32,148, and Corolla sales rose 12.9 percent, to 28,321. Despite the strong month, Toyota did not supplant Ford as No. 2 in U.S. sales. Ford sold 210,194 vehicles in February. Dearborn, Mich.-based Ford said overall sales to retail customers fell 8 percent compared with a year ago. Sales to rental car companies decreased by 16,000 vehicles, the company said. Many analysts expect Toyota to take Ford’s No. 2 spot in U.S. sales this year, after its sales surpassed Ford’s for two months in 2006. Meanwhile, Honda said U.S. sales rose 3.2 percent on stronger truck business and Nissan said its sales rose 1.2 percent. GM said it sold 308,411 light vehicles in February, up from 297,481 in the year-ago period. Sales of its light trucks rose 7.9 percent, to 199,509, while sales of passenger vehicles fell 3.3 percent, to 108,902. The increase in light-truck sales was led by a 26.5 percent jump in demand for the Chevrolet Silverado pickup and a 22.7 percent increase in sales of the GMC Sierra. Silverados just began arriving in showrooms, which explains the late bump, GM officials said. While the decline in fleet sales hurts overall sales numbers, Ford and GM have said the shift in their sales focus to more-profitable retail customers is part of their North American turnaround strategy. DaimlerChrysler AG sold 191,810 vehicles last month, down from 207,723 for the same month in 2006. Chrysler Group’s sales, which also include Jeep and Dodge brands, were down 8.3 percent, to 174,506, while Mercedes-Benz sales fell less than a percent, to 17,304, in February versus a year ago. American Honda Motor Co., which also includes Acura brands, said it sold a total of 110,026 vehicles in February, up from 106,644 in the 2006 same month. Truck sales rose 7 percent, to 49,521, while car sales edged up less than a percent, to 60,505. Nissan North America, which also includes Infiniti brands, sold 85,218 vehicles, up from 84,241 in the year-ago month. GM shares closed down 36 cents, or 1.13 percent, at $31.54 on the New York Stock Exchange, while Ford shares fell 14 cents, or 1.77 percent, to $7.77. DaimlerChrysler’s U.S. shares fell 56 cents, or 0.82 percent, to $67.51.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
A goal, a masterful assist and a standing ovation.Those are just three highlights of Philippe Coutinho’s afternoon in Liverpool’s 4-0 thrashing of Borussia Dortmund at Anfield.“He’s so gifted as a player,” manager Brendan Rodgers said after the game. “He’s just magical. His ability to get out of tight situations and his view of the game is incredible.”The 22-year-old’s glorious flick set up Daniel Sturridge to open the scoring, Coutinho scored the third and was heavily involved in the excellent team goal, scored by Jordan Henderson, for the fourth goal.Throughout the afternoon, the German side could not live with him as he zipped around the middle, displaying his skill and passing and causing problems for defenders.
2 2 Gary Neville deep in discussion with England manager Roy Hodgson Listen to Gary Neville co-host a special talkSPORT Drivetime showEngland coach Gary Neville is co-hosting the talkSPORT Drivetime show, so we asked you, the talkSPORT listeners, to select your ideal England line up for Euro 2016.And Drive host Adrian Durham has put the final XI to Neville himself, live on talkSPORT.In no time at all, we had #EngXIEuro2016 trending in the UK as your responses poured in, and we have totted up the most popular players from all the nominations to complete the talkSPORT listeners’ XI.And we have to say, it looks like a pretty exciting proposition.Take a look at the XI and make sure you listen to our Gary Neville special to hear what he had to say about your England team. Players who also received popular support but not enough to make it into the team included Fraser Forster, Leighton Baines, Phil Jones, Ross Barkley, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Theo Walcott, James Ward-Prowse, Adam Lallana and Danny Welbeck.If you want to ask Gary Neville a question while he’s on talkSPORT today, tweet @talkSPORT using #AskGNev
Check out this quality goal from North Carolina State University’s ‘Wolfpack’ soccer team.Losing 1-0 against the University of Notre Dame [Indiana], a crafty chip into the area is met with a brilliantly improvised shot from forward Zach Knudson – a goal many are calling the American college league’s goal of the year!Check out the sweet strike in the video above!
Liam & Ann Foy, Foy’s Letterkenny, Herdsmans Retail Park & Main Street Ballybofey would like to wish Jim and the Donegal Team every success for All Ireland Final.Liam and Ann have paid €100 for this advertisement with all of that money going to the Players Fund of the county team.All monies from adverts supporting the Donegal squad go directly to the team. BEST WISHES TO JIM McGUINNESS AND THE DONEGAL TEAM – FROM EVERYONE AT FOY’S was last modified: September 10th, 2012 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:BEST WISHES TO JIM McGUINNESS AND THE DONEGAL TEAM – FROM EVERYONE AT FOY’S
Real Madrid are ready to launch a staggering 300m euro (£270m) bid to sign Neymar from Paris Saint-Germain, according to reports in Spain.Bernabeu president Florentino Perez is yet to replace Cristiano Ronaldo despite rumours linking the Spanish giants with Chelsea’s Eden Hazard and PSG’s Kylian Mbappe. LIVING THE DREAM targets targets LATEST TRANSFER NEWS Cavani ‘agrees’ to join new club and will complete free transfer next summer LATEST Tony Cascarino backs Everton to sign two strikers for Carlo Ancelotti 1 Where every Premier League club needs to strengthen in January The biggest market value losers in 2019, including Bale and ex-Liverpool star REVEALED RANKED IN DEMAND Arsenal transfer news LIVE: Ndidi bid, targets named, Ozil is ‘skiving little git’ And now, according to Sport, he is lining-up Neymar in the hope that UEFA will force the French champions to sell.PSG, who made Neymar the world’s most expensive player last summer, are currently under investigation for suspected breaches in financial fair play rules relating to huge deals with Qatari sponsors.Sponsorship by the Qatar Tourism Authority, thought to be paying 120m euros annually, has been assessed for UEFA by an independent marketing consultancy as far above genuine commercial ‘fair value’ and PSG could face sanctions.It is understood that Perez, who has become increasingly desperate after the Super Cup defeat to Atletico Madrid, is waiting for the outcome of the investigation and has 300m euros ready to sign the Brazil star should UEFA rule against PSG.While the English transfer window has already slammed shut, others in Europe remain open until the end of August, meaning Los Blancos have two weeks to find their next Galatico. Kevin De Bruyne ‘loves Man City and wants to keep winning’, reveals father Man United joined by three other clubs in race for Erling Haaland moving on PSG could be forced to sell Neymar Top nine Premier League free transfers of the decade
THE parents of abducted toddler Madeleine McCann came to Ireland yesterday – and thanked the people of Ireland for their support.Gerry and Kate McCann revealed that half the letters of support they received had come from this country.And hundreds were sent from Donegal – where Gerry has many relatives. Last night on the Late Late Show on RTE1, Mr McCann spoke briefly about his Donegal connections.He said his two brothers and sister were born in Donegal but that he was born in Glasgow.“It was a big happy Irish Catholic family,” he told Ryan Tubridy.In an emotional and heart-breaking interview Kate McCann retold the horror of discovering her daughter missing from their holiday apartment in Portugal in May 2007 – a few days short of her fourth birthday. Her book – Madeleine – has been released today and sets out the facts in the case, rather than the vile and horrible rubbish spewed by sick-minded individuals on the internet in the past four years.All royalties from the book will help fund the search for Madeleine, a search boosted this week when British PM asked the London police to review all evidence in the case.Gerry’s family are from St Johnston but he has relatives throughout the county and in Glasgow.Madeleine had been visiting some of them with her mum and dad and twin siblings just a couple of weeks before she was taken.MADELEINE: ‘WE CAN’T THANK THE PEOPLE OF IRELAND ENOUGH’ SAY PARENTS was last modified: May 14th, 2011 by gregShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
Daniel O’Donnell has assured fans of popular Irish show B&B Road Trip that there are no plans to shelve the TV travel show he presents with wife Majella.The Donegal native has enjoyed huge success with the RTE show, which has aired for three seasons and is now preparing to head to the United States to film an American version of the fly-on-the-wall show.The Irish singer told the Daniel O’Donnell fan club magazine that discussions are already underway to expand the format of the show – and for the couple to be filmed travelling through even more countries. But the Kincasslagh man was modest when it came to how much the public had taken to him and his wife Majella on TV.“We are throwing ideas up in the air to see what might work best if we chose to do more TV shows,” he said.“It’s a good position to be in but the success on TV has come as a complete surprise to me. “Working on TV was not where I saw myself going years ago. But certainly, the blueprint, or whatever you might call it, of a mix of Majella and I on the B&B TV roadshow seems to be something that people really enjoy.“The TV station has already been on to us to do different things for TV, but time is the stumbling block now. We want to do it right rather than rushing through something new.”The couple are due to start filming on September 7 over a period of almost three weeks. The filming will see the pair travel from Chicago through Wisconsin and Minnesota to North Dakota – with plenty of deviations on the way “off the beaten track”.The popular Irish figure will also receive a special humanitarian award at the Norsk Hostfest festival in Dakota on September 26.The 56-year-old is scheduled to perform a series of five consecutive concerts at the INEC in Killarney from tomorrow. While he will also perform for Pope Francais when he visits the country later this month.Daniel and Majella set for U.S. version of B&B Road Trip was last modified: August 13th, 2018 by Shaun KeenanShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:daniel o’donnelldonegalKINCASSLAGH